We're really not very creative when it comes to punishment. Children, criminals, even your garden variety traffic offense is treated in a pretty myopic way when it comes to justice.
The Romans said 'Let the punishment fit the crime.' but I think that was fairly short sighted too. Better to create punishments that really look at the crime and figure out the best deterrent to keep the individual from repeating whatever infraction they are guilty of.
Children shouldn't be spanked I don't think, although if a child has a problem understanding what a victim of violence goes through, it seems logical that limited exposure to it might be educational.
I hate to say that, but its no less horrifying then the notion that a child never truly learns to appreciate the dangers of heat or fire until what? Right, until they burn themselves.
People might argue that violence begets violence, and certainly to a degree that is true. However, if you apply the 'burning yourself' model of thinking, isn't it impossible to learn that violence is wrong if you aren't somehow involved in it?
I realize that to an extent that is caveman thinking, but heres the thing. I was spanked as a kid, hell, I even got the belt. The bottom line is I barely even remember it, and I'm totally not a violent person. The fact is, I recall more humor in my 'spanking stories' than I do anything else.
I think people of the baby boomer generation feel that we may be ruining our children with lax attitudes towards discipline. As I've heard many many times now, 'go to your room' is no longer a painful excursion to a bland, boring space. More often today, it's a trip to a parentless hassle-free land where your iPod, computer, PS2 and more await.
What do you think?
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment